The natural world has always been a very important part of my life. Being in nature is and has always been a therapeutic experience for me. It is calming, grounding and inspiring. In my teaching I hope to share this love of the world outside of the classroom walls by engaging in Placed Based Learning whenever possible. When I volunteered at J.V.Humphries Elementary School they had a mandatory outdoor recess and lunch year round. And it was no big deal. Outdoor breaks was a part of the school culture, students had good winter clothing as parents/guardians in the community were all well aware of the daily outdoor time, rain or shine or snow.

I subscribe to the philosophy “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing” I hope my future students will feel the same way after experiencing the joys of the great outdoors through all seasons and conditions. The variability of nature helps build resilience and continually requires innovative thinking as big and small challenges often arise when engaging in activities such as hiking, canoeing, snow sports, etc.